Remember Skylanders?

Spyro got did dirty.

Discuss other games for the 3DS here, plus any Nintendo E-Shop software you might still have!
Artisan
Verified

RPG Character: Floride The Hedgehog
Brand New Member
Brand New Member
Cash on hand: 4,055,522.09
[Donate][Start Robbery]
Nintendo 3DS Central Vault balance: 19,212,021.21
Mood:
United States of America

Remember Skylanders?

Unread post by Artisan »

I never played myself as I was in High School at the time and never had an interest in owning the game (plus I didn't have a job to pay for it either). However, with it being a retro series now with it being discontinued early in the Switch life cycle I can't help but think how great of an idea it was even if it was a corporate cash grab. Nowadays the portal is the most expensive part of the game being the only way to scan your characters to the game unlike the later Nintendo revisions for Amiibo, same idea but different components. It had FOUR titles on the 3DS, and others on the Wii, Wii U, and Switch. Very decent run but the problem came with collecting the figures which gets pricey if you want them all. In later games, you can edit a save and get them all but I only know the first game requirements. Having one of each element of Skylander for the challenges. Even if you pirated it the thing was foolproof. You need a portal and rewritable chip of a certain type to use it or just get a few figures I guess would be of similar prices if you didn't want to collect them. Toys For Bob got away with making a lot of money among their three dev teams and never felt the burn of overproducing before the rest of the other competitors (Lego/WB and Disney) eventually did. Being the first to do this it was a weird time seeing this much plastic in the digital medium sections of stores. The first game on 3DS has great base challenges without changing Skylanders. Anyone can beat them, but you still have to be good at playing to finish it. I like the designs and effort put in, but I think you either like it or think you are wasting your time and money with no in-between.
word count: 330
:bananadance: The OG really know how to make a sandwich I tell ya w'hut :bananadance: Image
Demon_skeith
Verified
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Freshman Member
Freshman Member
Cash on hand: 9,574,500.04
[Donate][Start Robbery]
Referrals: 9
    Windows 10 Firefox
Nintendo 3DS Central

Re: Remember Skylanders?

Unread post by Demon_skeith »

Never played it either, mostly due to being a cash grabbing game and poorly using spyro.
word count: 16
DPadDoc Magolor
Verified

RPG Character: Cotton
Sophomore Member
Sophomore Member
Cash on hand: 0.00
[Donate][Start Robbery]
Nintendo 3DS Central Vault balance: 29,855,337.48
Title: Resident Wii U Voucher
Mood:
Nintendo 3DS Central

Unread post by DPadDoc Magolor »

Seeing Skylanders being referred to as retro makes me feel like someone's great grandpappy.

With that aside, yes I do remember Skylanders but I never got into it. Despite being on an Amiibo high back in the mid 2010s, I never bought the Donkey Kong and Bowser Skylander/Amiibo hybrids (or Skymiibo as Amiibo enthusiasts call them) nor their dark counterparts.

P.S.: The guy who voiced Kaos had it better as Zim, Alpha-5, Daggett, and Billy among others.

P.S.S.: No, I haven't watched Skylanders Academy either. I didn't even know Skylanders (and by extension Spyro the Dragon) had a cartoon show until recently.
word count: 110
Image | Image

BlueSky | Mastodon

GameTZ is the new home of my game collection listing. I don't do game trades yet nor know how to do so properly.
Character on avatar: Interdimensional Magolor of Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe | Avatar credit: こうちゃ (Black Tea) on Pixiv
Artisan
Verified

RPG Character: Floride The Hedgehog
Brand New Member
Brand New Member
Cash on hand: 4,055,522.09
[Donate][Start Robbery]
Nintendo 3DS Central Vault balance: 19,212,021.21
Mood:
United States of America

Unread post by Artisan »

DPadDoc wrote: April 3rd, 2023, 2:51 Seeing Skylanders being referred to as retro makes me feel like someone's great grandpappy.

With that aside, yes I do remember Skylanders but I never got into it. Despite being on an Amiibo high back in the mid 2010s, I never bought the Donkey Kong and Bowser Skylander/Amiibo hybrids (or Skymiibo as Amiibo enthusiasts call them) nor their dark counterparts.

P.S.: The guy who voiced Kaos had it better as Zim, Alpha-5, Daggett, and Billy among others.

P.S.S.: No, I haven't watched Skylanders Academy either. I didn't even know Skylanders (and by extension Spyro the Dragon) had a cartoon show until recently.
I was gonna say that Netflix series is super long. At least from the summary I watched online. I don't have Netflix as of now to see it. They had great material assets for the characters and some of it is funny, but it's too young for me still.
word count: 168
:bananadance: The OG really know how to make a sandwich I tell ya w'hut :bananadance: Image

Last 255 Members Who Visited This Topic! Total 133 visits

Sammi (32), User avatar YoshiPikachuPlayer (1), User avatar DPadDoc (17), Joy (28), User avatar Lyndis (9), User avatar Tiger21821 (13), User avatar Demon_skeith (4), User avatar Tiger21820 (15), User avatar Tiger21822 (10), User avatar Artisan (4)

Return to “Other 3DS Games”