Nintendo On the sentencing of hacking group member Gary Bowser

Talk about anything here!
Forum rules
Don't post anything illegal here! Also, be respectful, and keep it PG-13!
cm2
Verified

RPG Character: Marshall Silas
Title: PLOT Master
Nintendo 3DS Central

Nintendo On the sentencing of hacking group member Gary Bowser

Unread post by cm2 »

Just read from VGC on it, calling it a very significant moment for Nintendo:

The company’s lawyer Ajay Singh reportedly told the court: “This is a very significant moment for us”.

He added: “It’s the purchase of video games that sustains Nintendo and the Nintendo ecosystem, and it is the games that make the people smile.

“It’s for that reason that we do all we can to prevent games on Nintendo systems from being stolen.”

US district court judge Robert Lasnik seemingly agreed with Singh, stating that TV and movies regularly glorify hacking as “sticking it to the man”, giving the impression that there’s no harm in it given how much money large companies make.

At one point Lasnik asked Singh: “What else can we do to convince people that there’s no glory in this hacking / piracy?”

Singh answered: “There would be a large benefit to further education of the public.”

Bowser’s lawyer had asked for Bowser to serve 19 months, much of which had already been served. Lasnik, however, sentenced him to 40 months, stating: “I think there is a role to be played here in terms of a message.”
word count: 197
"I am not the law, but I represent justice so far as my feeble powers go." -- Sherlock Holmes
ImageImage
Tiger21820 MASTER!!
Verified

RPG Character: Tiger
Administrator
Administrator
Golden Member
Golden Member
Title: Master of Fire & Ice!
3DS Friend Code: 0302-0580-1162
Switch Friend Code: SW-2874-9496-1397
Referrals: 38
Mood:
Tiger's Island!
    Windows 10 Firefox
Nintendo 3DS Central

Re: Nintendo On the sentencing of hacking group member Gary Bowser

Unread post by Tiger21820 MASTER!! »

So Bowser was involved in this fiasco this whole time! I can think of all the memes that will be coming out of this...

I am pro retro piracy, since it seemingly doesn't affect the market (and no, Switch Online DOES NOT count for a game being on the market! It has to, or should be a game sold in retail stores to count as negative piracy!), but I am against the illegal distribution of games of currently active systems! Though buying the games legally should be able to cancel out the piracy aspect, it sadly doesn't...

I also believe that DOWNLOADING roms is not NEARLY as bad as UPLOADING or HOSTING them (which I nor Nintendo 3DS Central will be condoning, YOU'RE WELCOME NINTENDO!!!), as they seem to be going after those who host unauthorized copyrighted content rather than those who download it!

Plus the US has some exceptions for software copying, as the DMCA permits the copying of software for back-up purposes, and personal use! Not 100% sure, but that's what I think!

Nintendo needs to make some sort of comic featuring Mario and Bowser on this whole case, but since they have no sense of humor, others will have to do that!
word count: 210
:fireice1 :fire2 :tigCheer Master of Fire & Ice! :tigHappy :ice1 :fireice1
► Show Spoiler
cm2
Verified

RPG Character: Marshall Silas
Title: PLOT Master
Nintendo 3DS Central

Re: Nintendo On the sentencing of hacking group member Gary Bowser

Unread post by cm2 »

Tiger21820 wrote: June 8th, 2022, 4:52 So Bowser was involved in this fiasco this whole time! I can think of all the memes that will be coming out of this...

I am pro retro piracy, since it seemingly doesn't affect the market (and no, Switch Online DOES NOT count for a game being on the market! It has to, or should be a game sold in retail stores to count as negative piracy!), but I am against the illegal distribution of games of currently active systems! Though buying the games legally should be able to cancel out the piracy aspect, it sadly doesn't...

Nintendo needs to make some sort of comic featuring Mario and Bowser on this whole case, but since they have no sense of humor, others will have to do that!
Indeed lol

I agree, Retro Piracy is fine.

lol that would be hilarious!
word count: 149
"I am not the law, but I represent justice so far as my feeble powers go." -- Sherlock Holmes
ImageImage

Last 255 Members Who Visited This Topic! Total 31 visits

User avatar Tiger21822 (7), User avatar Tiger21820 (10), User avatar Tiger21821 (8), User avatar cm2 (5), User avatar DPadDoc (1)

Return to “General Discussion”