YouTube on Wii U and Crunchyroll on Wii U plus 7th gen consoles ending support in late 2022, and NicoNico on 3DS in 2023

The end of an era for streaming apps on some past gen consoles.

Talk about your favorite movies, TV shows, music, books, and all of that stuff here! Please do not post unauthorized copywritten (copyrighted) content here please! It causes such a fuss when people complain about it...
Forum rules
Don't post any illegal things here! Also keep it PG-13!
DPadDoc Magolor
Verified

RPG Character: Cotton
Sophomore Member
Sophomore Member
Cash on hand: 0.00
[Donate][Start Robbery]
Nintendo 3DS Central Vault balance: 29,855,337.48
Title: Resident Wii U Voucher
Mood:
Nintendo 3DS Central

YouTube on Wii U and Crunchyroll on Wii U plus 7th gen consoles ending support in late 2022, and NicoNico on 3DS in 2023

Unread post by DPadDoc Magolor »

I was originally going to post this in the Wii U section, but then I realized that some non-Nintendo consoles ended up getting tied up with the Crunchyroll closure. Sorry for the long title, I was trying to get all of this to fit as much as possible.

I've also moved this to media since this is more focused on media streaming apps rather than actual video games.

-

With the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS eShops closure becoming more imminent, it's not a surprise that more entertainment apps and services gradually decline their support for older gaming platforms.

Crunchyroll will no longer be available on the Wii U eShop starting on August 29th of this year, and the app will no longer be usable at that same date. Additionally, the Crunchyroll app will no longer be available on the PS3 and XBOX 360 digital storefronts too at the same time as the Wii U version. If you have any animes and J-dramas you want to catch up on, you don't have much time left to watch them on the Wii U (as well as PS3 and XBOX 360).

The YouTube app on the Wii U is no longer available to download on the Wii U eShop, however Wii U owners that have downloaded the YouTube app before it was pulled from the Wii U eShop can still continue to use it until October of this year (exact given date unknown). If you want to watch someone's let's play or some funny cat videos on YouTube, the time to do so is ticking!

To our Japanese visitors (if any), The NicoNico app on 3DS (and Wii U if it's on there too) will end support on March 31st of next year, shortly after the 3DS and Wii U eShops close their doors.

All three of the aforementioned apps are already available on the Nintendo Switch if you want to continue using them on a Nintendo console, with NicoNico being available to those with access to the Japanese Nintendo Switch eShop (requires a Japanese Nintendo account of course, and a free download as well).

Article on Perfectly Nintendo with all the details (on the Nintendo front that is).

P.S.: My smart TV does not have a Crunchyroll app nor a NicoNico app with the latter being Japan exclusive unsurprisingly.
Last edited by DPadDoc Magolor on August 4th, 2022, 0:12, edited 2 times in total! word count: 396
Image | Image

BlueSky | Mastodon

GameTZ is the new home of my game collection listing. I don't do game trades yet nor know how to do so properly.
Character on avatar: Interdimensional Magolor of Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe | Avatar credit: こうちゃ (Black Tea) on Pixiv

Last 255 Members Who Visited This Topic! Total 34 visits

User avatar DPadDoc (24), User avatar Tiger21822 (3), User avatar Tiger21821 (4), User avatar Tiger21820 (3)

Return to “Media”